The Village of Sleepy Hollow Illinois is currently accepting applications from qualified individuals for the position of a full-time Public Works Maintenance Worker.
Purpose of Position
This position performs semi-skilled tasks related to the day-to-day maintenance and repair of Village infrastructure including but not limited to streets, rights-of-ways, water, sewer, parks and other public properties. This position reports to the Director of Public Works. This is a full-time position with full benefits.
- Must be a High School graduate or equivalent.
- One-year public works experience or related field
- Must be able to secure a class “B” Commercial Driver’s License within 6 months of employment (pass a pre-employment drug screening).
- Must be available for after-hours / on call overtime (within one hour of call out) for water, sewer, snow plowing, and weather emergencies.
- Must be able to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Must be able to lift 60 LBS overhead (must pass pre-employment physical examination, and drug screening)
- Must have the ability to work independently.
- Must be able to learn or have previous knowledge of how to operate a variety of equipment including but not limited to a backhoe, dump truck, generator, pumps, zero turn mower, and an assortment of hand and power tools.
- Must have or ability to learn basic vehicle, and equipment maintenance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs various standard tasks using a wide variety of manual and powered equipment including, but not limited to: drills, power saws, shovels, rakes, mowers, string trimmers, compressors, wood chippers, and tractors. Drives a variety of light to heavy duty vehicles on a daily basis.
- Performs general landscaping work including but not limited to, mowing, trimming, weeding, mulching, and planting.
- Assists with the maintenance, repair, and replacement of culverts, storm drains, and storm sewers.
- Assists in water and sewer maintenance, and repair.
- Assists in road maintenance, and repair including but not limited to, pothole filling, snow plowing, and street signs.
- Must be able to work well with others and provide excellent customer service to the residents.
- Will be “on call” for emergencies, such as water main breaks, snow plowing, sewer backups, and downed trees.
- Performs general maintenance on all Village vehicles and equipment.
- Assists in the maintenance of parks and other public facilities. Removes trash from parks, right of ways, and other public spaces. Prepares and paints surfaces both interior and exterior.
- Utilizes proper safety precautions related to all work performed and adheres to all departmental and Village safety policies.
Position pay is $20 an hour, with full health insurance. A 457-retirement plan is available after one year of employment. 2 weeks’ vacation available after one year of employment. Hours are Monday thru Friday 6:30-3:00. During non-normal hours of operation, you will be required to be On-Call. On-Call is on a rotating schedule with the other employees of the Public Works Department.
Applications can be found at Employment Application
Please submit applications and resumes to kkillinger [at] sleepyhollowil.org or in person at the Village Hall 1 Thorobred Lane Sleepy Hollow, Illinois, 60118
PLEASE NO PHONE CALLS
VILLAGE OF SLEEPY HOLLOW
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER